Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Please give me the correct understanding about these 3 questions.
Q no.1) I wonder when talking about studies, learning, teaching in any subjects what the right word I should use between "process" or "procedure" like in these sentences:

-Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the Studies,Learning and Teaching Procedure for our commissioned officers.
or

-Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the Studies, Learning and Teaching Process for our commissioned officers.

Q no.2) Is it all right if I let all the capital letters

appeared in many places like in "Studies, Learning, Procedure, or even in Process?

Q no.3) Is it different between the word "studies" and "study" Is its actual meaning merely a plural ?

Thank you for your time.
Phorntita

Please give me the correct understanding about these 3 questions.
what the right word I should use between "process" or "procedure" like in these sentences:

-Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the Studies,Learning and Teaching Procedure for our commissioned officers.
or

-Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the Studies, Learning and Teaching Process for our commissioned officers.
Here ‘procedure’ is more appropriate. In its simplest form a procedure is a way in which one works to accomplish a task. It can therefore be a sequence of steps that include preparation, conduct and completion of a task which are learning and teaching. Each step can be a sequence of activities and each activity a sequence of actions. Please note that procedures are implemented and processes are operated
Of course I would prefer process linked with study, because here you need some output and processes convert inputs into outputs

Q no.2) Is it all right if I let all the capital letters

appeared in many places like in "Studies, Learning, Procedure, or even in Process?
These are not personal nouns, so why capital letters? As a matter of style, at times you can do so to highlight a phrase such as: Course of Study

Q no.3) Is it different between the word "studies" and "study" Is its actual meaning merely a plural ? Yes. The word ‘study’ can be used as verb (to study chemistry) as well as noun (the study of English literature). You can’t say ‘studies of literature’ because as noun, here ‘study’ is uncountable. When used as countable it means ‘examination’ as: Some studies have been made on the subject.

Thank you for your time.
Phorntita

Skp

Thank you Sarat_106. Then, is it correct that I've used the word 'studies' here in this sentence ? Did 'studies' mean 'examination' here?

Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the Studies,Learning and Teaching Procedure for our commissioned officers.

Thank you in advance

Thank you Sarat_106. Then, is it correct that I've used the word 'studies' here in this sentence ? Did 'studies' mean 'examination' here?

Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the Studies,Learning and Teaching Procedure for our commissioned officers.

Thank you in advance

Learning and Teaching act as adjectives modifying the noun ‘procedure’, so better take out ‘studies’ which is a countable noun. If it is to be used as a noun meaning ‘examination’, then say:
Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the studies of learning and teaching procedure for our commissioned officers.

Learning and Teaching act as adjectives modifying the noun ‘procedure’, so better take out ‘studies’ which is a countable noun. If it is to be used as a noun meaning ‘examination’, then say:
Our Naval Education Dept. is responsible for the studies of learning and teaching procedure for our commissioned officers.

But once I was told that in this sentence it would be better if I use the word 'studies' instead of 'study' as:

I continued my studies in the faculty of education Chulalongkorn University after finishing the Assumption Convent School long time ago.

Did I understand it right about the use of 'studies' here? :-D

Commander Phorntita, I would suggest: Our Naval Education Department is responsible for the learning and teaching procedures for our commissioned officers.

Commander Phorntita, I would suggest: Our Naval Education Department is responsible for the learning and teaching procedures for our commissioned officers.

Thank you amigos4, I'm glad to hear from you again. :-D

<:)>)X

But once I was told that in this sentence it would be better if I use the word 'studies' instead of 'study' as:

I continued my studies in the faculty of education Chulalongkorn University after finishing the Assumption Convent School long time ago.

Did I understand it right about the use of 'studies' here? :-D

Yes, you are right. studies in plural form also means: A branch or department of learning: graduate studies, Social studies. Or a personal effort to gain knowledge: to pursue one's studies in a faculty or an university.

Yes, you are right. studies in plural form also means: A branch or department of learning: graduate studies, Social studies. Or a personal effort to gain knowledge: to pursue one's studies in a faculty or an university.

Thank you sarat_106

<:)>)X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back