Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I don't know how to use verbs "press", "pressure", and "pressurize", and also I do not know how similar they are and whether or not either one can explain this situation in the example sentences. So would you please help me with the idea and correct verbs?

1. If one of enemy countries have a nuclear weapon, this presses the others have the same.

2. If one of enemy countries have a nuclear weapon, this pressures the others have the same.

3. If one of enemy countries have a nuclear weapon, this pressurizes the others have the same.

P.S: Would you also please correct my above text?

2. If one of enemy countries [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] has a nuclear weapon, this pressures the others to have the same.
Pressures is appropriate in the sentence, which means the action of the country serves to send a message indirectly to persuade or intimidate others to follow.
Presses is used in contexts where the force used is more direct, as in A presses B to do something.
Pressurizes is used more in scientific context to describe some physical phenomenon.

Last edited:
"If one of enemy countries" is incorrect. Try again.

"If one of enemy countries" is incorrect. Try again.

Okay it is "if one of the enemy countries" but why is "the" required here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back