Present perfect continuous in the following situations - They’ve been playing tennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please tell me if my understanding is correct.
Present perfect continuous can be used in the following situations.

1) A single action started in the past and has continued until the present, and it is happening at the moment of speaking.

How long have they been playing tennis?
They’ve been playing tennis for an hour. (They’re still playing tennis now.)
We cannot use “have played” here.

2) A repeated action happens from the past up to the present, and it is not necessarily happening at the moment of speaking.

How long have they been playing tennis?
(= How long have they played tennis?)
They’ve been playing tennis Every Sunday for two years.
(= They’ve played tennis Every Sunday for two years.)

3) An action stops not long before the present, and it has a result in the present.

I am tired because I have been doing homework.
We cannot use “have done” here.

4) An action stops not long before the present, and it leaves evidence in the present.

It has been raining because the street is still wet.
We cannot use “has rained” here.

5) Temporary situations or habits started in the past and continues to the present, and it is not necessarily happening at the moment of speaking.

I normally drive to work, but I have been going to work by bus because my car has broken down.
We cannot use “have gone” here.

4) An action stops not long before the present, and it leaves evidence in the present.

We cannot use “has rained” here.
... has rained is not impossible.

3) An action stops not long before the present, and it has a result in the present.

I am tired because I have been doing homework.
We cannot use “have done” here.
Only the progressive form is natural in that situation, but it's possible to say "I am shattered because I've run a half-marathon".

Only the progressive form is natural in that situation, but it's possible to say "I am shattered because I've run a half-marathon".
Or, in American English, I'm worn out.

That doesn't work and it has nothing to do with the use of the present perfect continuous. The problem is the use of "because". With that, the two halves of the sentence are the wrong way round.

The street is wet because it has been raining.

To put the information about the rain at the start, you'd have to change the sentence. Here are a couple of options:

It has been raining; that's why the street is wet.
I know it has been raining because the street is wet.

Please tell me if my understanding is correct.
There is one more situation as the following.

6) An action is unfinished, and it is not necessarily happening at the moment of speaking.

1. I have been reading the book you recommended. I’ll finish in two days. (The speaker could be reading the book at the moment of speaking or not.)

2. Don’t disturb Tom now. He has been doing his homework. (Tom is doing his homework at the moment of speaking.)

2. Don’t disturb Tom now. He has been doing his homework. (Tom is doing his homework at the moment of speaking.)
If he is doing his homework at the moment of speaking then you would say "Don’t disturb Tom now. He is doing his homework".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back