Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
United States
I always have problems with prepositions and pronouns in subordinate clauses. For instance, if I have the following sentence: "I'm looking for a book and I know its ISBN." I would like to use a subordinate clause instead but everything I come up with doesn't sound very idiomatic, e.g.: "I'm looking for a book of which I know the ISBN." What would be the best way to say it, if any?

I always have problems with prepositions and pronouns in subordinate clauses. For instance, if I have the following sentence: "I'm looking for a book and I know its ISBN." I would like to use a subordinate clause instead but everything I come up with doesn't sound very idiomatic, e.g.: "I'm looking for a book of which I know the ISBN." What would be the best way to say it, if any?

I prefer your original version.

Welcome, Sir W.:-D

"I'm looking for a book of which I know the ISBN" is just fine, though rather formal.

You could also say "I'm looking for a book whose ISBN I know". The pronoun 'whose' is not used exclusively for people.

Rover

Last edited:
Thank you both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back