Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
China
Current Location
South Korea
In my coursebook, there is
: "As its name suggests, formalistic criticism has for its sole object the discovery and explanation of form in the literary work."
I understand the following is the same as
: 'As its name suggests, formalistic criticism has the discovery and explanation of form in the literary work for its sole object.

Is inserting prepositional phrase between a verb and its object confined to verb have and its object? Or is it applicable to other transitive verbs such as paint, tint, play, sing and so forth?

It is not an unusual construction.

Your reply confirmed me that prepositional phrase can be between a transitive verb and its object, Mike. I don't know about other examples having this construction. But if I find any later on, I'll add it to this thread.

Last edited:
Yes, you could post for our benefit any examples you find.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Yonsu:

Like the other posters, I found your question very interesting.

So I went to my books yesterday but came up empty-handed. This morning, however, I discovered that Google does, indeed, have some articles on this topic.

I would like to quote two results that I found. I am sure that you can find many other results.

(1) "On rare occasions, a prepositional phrase can function like an appositive, in which case you should set it off with commas: I am slashing, for one day only, these already low prices."

-- Ms. Jennifer Spirko in a Google result entitled "Can a Prepositional Phrase Follow a Transitive Verb?"

(2) Mr. Neil Coffen on the website "Stack Exchange" gives these two sentences:

a. "He put on the table three books that I never even knew had been published."
b. "He put three books that I never even knew had been published on the table."

Mr. Coffen opines that the length of the direct object might the reason that some speakers might prefer 2a.

James

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back