Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear All,
I've noticed that many native speakers sometimes seem to omit the preposition before date.
For example,
"Brussels, Belgium (CNN)
Paris and Brussels continued to defend against the threat of terrorist attacks Sunday, with raids and arrests in the Belgian capital and a fresh appeal from French police."

Shouldn't we put "on" before Sunday? I've seen this kind of omission several times before. Is there any rule to exclude the preposition before date?Thank you

It is very common. I don't know if there is a rule.

For me (BrE), "on" is required.

I should have been clearer - in the original context, I would use "on". I, too, would happily say "I'll see you Sunday", "I'll do it Sunday".

Thank you all.
May I conclude that it's required for British English to put the preposition before date, but it becomes more flexible for American English?

"The date" is something like December 3 or May 19.
"The day" is Sunday.

Ems and Piscean (both British) said they'd omit it in a sentence like "See you Sunday" so it's clearly not always required.

Dropping the preposition is increasing in British English, but it is not so established that the sentence from CNN would work. In BrE, it may be better to play safe and use it in most contexts, though things like See you Sunday are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back