Possibility of/for (doing) sth...-it seems the possibilities for smartwatches...

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. With technology having become more and more sophisticated and computer chips smaller and smaller, it seems the possibilities for smartwatches are almost endless. (From Ivy League Analytical English Magazine)
In the red part, can I use the preposition "of" instead of "for"? Is there any difference between them?

2. There was no possibility of changing the voting procedure. (From Longman Dictionary)
In the red part of this sentence, can I use the preposition "for" instead of "of"? Is there any difference between them?

Thanks for your help!

1. This is a kind of sentence we see more and more and think little about it. It's easy to understand and quite acceptable until we really think about what it says and then I (for one) make a face, roll my eyes, and move on. "Possibilities are endless" literally means that each individual 'possibility' is endless, which is absurd. A list of possibilities might be (hyperbolically) "endless", but not the possibilities themselves.

To respond to your question: In my opinion, once we go off into questionable usage, one more step wouldn't make it much worse. I much prefer 'for' and seeing 'of' would make be begin to really question the writer's grasp of English usage.

2. Possibility of. Mechanism for. Reason for. ​No substitutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back