Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Happy new year to all of the teachers and other members. My question is regarding the following sentence excerpted from the New Year message of Mr. Roger Waters at his official Facebook page.

"We are all brothers and sisters in the family of man and we all deserve each others love and respect."

I am confused about the word "others". Should it be "other's", if not, what is the rule of exception here?

Thanks and regards.

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/roge...e-from-roger-december-31-2013/775909592423493

Happy new year to all of the teachers and other members. My question is regarding the following sentence excerpted from the New Year message of Mr. Roger Waters at his official Facebook page.

"We are all brothers and sisters in the family of man and we all deserve each others love and respect."

I am confused about the word "others". Should it be "other's", if not, what is the rule of exception here?

Thanks and regards.

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/roge...e-from-roger-december-31-2013/775909592423493

Yes, the apostrophe is needed there. Usually, "each other" is used for two individuals. In this sentence "one another's" would be better.

Mr Waters doesn't seem to be very good with apostrophes- he also talks in that link of King Leopolds Ghost, which should be King Leopold's Ghost.

Well, let's face it, Mr Waters was a member of Pink Floyd who sang "We don't need no education" in "Another Brick in the Wall". Clearly, he not only didn't need one, he didn't get one. ;-)

(He also wrote "I won't bang-on about ..." - no hyphen is required there.)

Well, let's face it, Mr Waters was a member of Pink Floyd who sang "We don't need no education" in "Another Brick in the Wall". Clearly, he not only didn't need one, he didn't get one. ;-)

(He also wrote "I won't bang-on about ..." - no hyphen is required there.)

First of all, rock musicians deliberately use improper grammar because it's symbolic of rebellion against conformity and established rules. Second, in the instance of Pink Floyd using "We don't need no education," this was clearly a deliberate misuse of grammar because the song was about rebelling against education. Third, [Personal comment removed. We can manage without these, thank you. 5jj, moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks and regards.

Source:

I would like to make some grammatical corrections. The first line should read, "Happy New Year to all the teachers and other members..." "New Year" is typically written as a proper noun. "All the," not "all of the" is used when referring to nouns, as opposed to when referring to pronouns. Then, the example sentence should read, "We are all brothers and sisters in the family of man, and we all deserve one another's love and respect." There are two independent clauses in that sentence, so a comma is needed to separate the two independent clauses. Also, "one another's" should be used as a singular form referring to more than two people.

"All the," not "all of the" is used when referring to nouns, as opposed to when referring to pronouns.
I don't know where you discovered that rule, but you can send it back. 'All of the' is less common than 'all the', but it's fine.
Also, "one another's" should be used as a singular form referring to more than two people.
In British English, there is no difference at all between each other and one another.

Please note, from the forum guidelines:
You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps Roger Waters is a believer in the philosophy of George Bernard Shaw regarding the apostrophe. A philosophy with which I have some sympathy.

First of all, rock musicians deliberately use improper grammar because it's symbolic of rebellion against conformity and established rules. Second, in the instance of Pink Floyd using "We don't need no education," this was clearly a deliberate misuse of grammar because the song was about rebelling against education. Third, [Personal comment removed. We can manage without these, thank you. 5jj, moderator.]

Having seen the comment deleted by 5jj in an e-mail, I would encourage you to keep your gun in the holster until you learn the lay of the land. Two posts hardly make you an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back