Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
On the camera feed from the living room, Jack sees the man and woman sitting at the dinner table eating dinner.

Jack fast-forwards a bit.

Now the man and woman sit on the couch watching TV.

(I wrote this)

Is the position of 'now' appropriate in the sentence or would you place it after 'woman'?

It's OK at the beginning, but I'd say 'are sitting'.

As 5jj has suggested, there's an important semantic difference between 'sit' (an active verb) and 'be sitting' (a stative verb). The first means 'going from a standing position to a seated position'. I don't think you mean that, right?

Anyway, what is this sentence? Is a stage direction for a screenplay? If so, the word 'now' is out of place. What exactly do you mean by 'now'?

As 5jj has suggested, there's an important semantic difference between 'sit' (an active verb) and 'be sitting' (a stative verb). The first means 'going from a standing position to a seated position'. I don't think you mean that, right?

Anyway, what is this sentence? Is a stage direction for a screenplay? If so, the word 'now' is out of place. What exactly do you mean by 'now'?
Screenplay. Jack is watching footage from a house where a crime takes place later. He fast-forwards the footage, so I use 'now' to tell what's on screen at the moment he has fast-forwarded to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back