Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Recently, in the UK radio, i hear this adjective quite a lot: pouring? polling?
i guess the meaning is awful or disgusting.
But i'm not sure the exact word.

pls listen to this lady said it at 5:17.

could you give me some light??

thanks.

The word she uses is appalling, which has that meaning, though the first syllable does appear to have been swallowed.

Hi,

Recently, on British radio, I have heard this adjective quite a lot: pouring? polling?
I guess the meaning is awful or disgusting.
But i'm not sure the exact word.

Please listen to this. The woman said it at 5:17.

Could you shed some light?

thanks.

"UK" is a noun - a place name. "British" is an adjective - a nationality. It would be more natural to use "British" in that sentence.

"Lady" is correct, but "woman" is usually more widely acceptable, at least here in the US.

Last edited:
Write I hear this adjective quite a lot. When it's preceded by recently and describing an ongoing or repeated situation, the main verb should be in the present simple. Don't write Recently, I heard this adjective quite a lot.​ That's incorrect.

Sayor, please check your member profile. It says that your native language is Chinese but that your home country (where you grew up) is Afghanistan. That's quite unusual.
Hopefully, now that you live in the UK, you will get better and better at listening comprehension as you are surrounded by the English language at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back