Imad Mugheer

Member Type
Other
Dear Sir,

I am enquiring about the appropriateness of using
Will you do thas..
Could You do this..
Would you do this...

Is "Will you do this" acceptable or is it an impolite order?

Thank you

Imad

It's more direct and more of an order than the others. With could/would, it is a request and you are giving the person the possibility to decline. There's nothing wrong with using will you if you are giving an order- it's not impolite when you have the authority to give an order.

It's more direct and more of an order than the others. With could/would, it is a request and you are giving the person the possibility to decline. There's nothing wrong with using will you if you are giving an order- it's not impolite when you have the authority to give an order.

Thank you for explanation.
How should I reply to somebody who says "Will you..." if I do not like it, or he should not have asked me? I want him to request not to order.

My appreciation.

Thank you for explanation.
How should I reply to somebody who says "Will you..." if I do not like it, or he should not have asked me? I want him to request not to order.

My appreciation.
You can say, "Sorry, no I can't do that."
Of course, there are a lot of different contexts.

Assuming you want to be polite:
Stranger: Will you help me carry this piano?
You: Sorry, no, I can't do that.

A: Will you give me ten dollars?
B: Why should I give you ten dollars?
A: I want to buy a pipe and some tobacco.
B: I can't spare ten dollars [And besides, I wouldn't give it to you anyway.]
A: Are you sure?
B: Yes, I'm sure, Now go away! (Other less polite alternatives are available.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back