Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Cambridge English Dictionary offers an example of only the plural form of the idiom mentioned in the title of my post: 'Love and hate are polar opposites'.
See the complete article by the following link:

In the Collins Dictionary it is possible to find the idiom in the singular form:

Is this grammatical difference conditioned by the variant of English: either British, in which the plural form of the idiom seems to be unlikely; or American, where the plural form of the expressions appears to be possible (I've reached this conclusion on the basis of the information provided in the Collins dictionary, the US publishing house)? If I'm mistaken in my speculations, please, let me know.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever used it in the singular. It's always "They're polar opposites".

Thank you for the answers and useful references!

Thank you for the answers and useful references!
You're welcome but please bear in mind that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you" to anyone. Simply hover over the "Like" button (which I can see you have found already), and choose the "Thanks" icon. It saves time for everyone.

British, in which the plural form of the idiom seems to be unlikely
What's your reasoning behind this- we happily use plurals in BrE where AmE uses the singular. I am a BrE speaker and would happily use the plural, and can't think when I have used the singular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back