Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
[FONT=&quot]Hello there,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I'm a grade twelve student struggling to decipher the theme in the poem "Television's Child" by Glen Kirkland ([/FONT]http://bclearningnetwork.com/LOR/media/comm11/2012-files/Unit5/televisions_child.pdf[FONT=&quot]). [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The following is the question listed in my assignment:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How does the metaphor “His mind was a scrapbook of images that did not connect” develop the poem’s theme?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So far what I've gathered is that the boy has spent most of his time passively watching TV and has taken in a lot of content from what he's watched and seen. However, he's unable to form his own ideas, opinions or understandings of the world because he can't he cannot decipher the messages associated with the content. [/FONT]

Could you tell me if I'm heading in the right direction? I'm struggling to determine the theme but I would appreciate some tips!

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for sharing your thoughts![/FONT]

We can't do your homework for you.

We can't do your homework for you.

Hello,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I don't expect you to do it for me either, I just wanted to know if I was heading the right direction of if I was completely off the mark.

Welcome to the forum, ESKAYBEE.:-D

I'd like to compliment you on the high standard of your written English, which is almost perfect. (There are a couple of typos which you would have noticed if you had checked your text a little more carefully.;-))

As probus said, the forum rules don't allow us to offer this kind of help.

Last edited:
Passively watching TV? As opposed to actively watching TV?

I don't think it develops the theme at all. It (that line) is almost at the end of the poem. How can it develop any theme?! I sympathize with you, Eskaybee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back