Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Do native speakers use "pleased to see you again" or does it sound unnatural?

I think "nice to see you again" would be more common in my area of the U.S. "Pleased" seems more formal, but is not unnatural.

Another common variation is 'good', but again there's nothing wrong with 'pleased'.

Another common variation is 'good', but again there's nothing wrong with 'pleased'.

So it's only more formal and "it's" is optional in "nice to see you again" and "good to see you again". Right? but "pleased to see you again" is the full phrase, isn't it?

With "pleased", you'd have to say "I'm", to be 100% grammatically correct, but just as with "it's", we tend to treat them as optional in casual, spoken English.

Technically, both expressions are missing both a subject and verb if omitted, but again it's so commonly done that it sounds natural with or without them.

Last edited:
Using pleased has a different meaning.

(I'm) pleased to see you again. I didn't think you'd come back.

This is pleased in its normal sense of 'happy with the outcome'. That's very different from It's nice to see you again.

Of course, if you use any of them without "It's" at the start, you need to capitalise the first word, so "Pleased/Nice to see you again".

Using pleased has a different meaning.

(I'm) pleased to see you again. I didn't think you'd come back.

This is pleased in its normal sense of 'happy with the outcome'. That's very different from It's nice to see you again.

Is there also a difference between "nice to meet you" and "pleased to meet you"?

The general meaning is the same but I'm sure you can see how "It's nice" and "I'm pleased" have different meanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back