Please take the package right when the post office opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

Please take the package right when the post office is open.

VS

Please take the package right when the post office opens.

Are both okay?

"Opens" is correct. In BrE, we would use "as soon as the Post Office opens" not "right when the ...".

Would you use "on the Post Office's opening"? The Oxford dictionary says "on" can mean "immediately after".

Your phrase is grammatical but not colloquial in this context.

(There's no need to capitalise 'post office'.)

I think Matthew was copying my capitalisation of Post Office. Because it's still a brand name (and there is no competition), I always capitalise it. "I'm going to the Post Office" is the same as "I'm going to Waterstone's" or "I'm off to Sainsbury's". I agree that a "post office" is a type of business but, for me, it's a company name.

As you wish. To me it's just another building like the bank or library.

When they wake up, I'm sure one of our AmE speakers will tell you whether "right when the ... opens" is OK for them.

It is not normal for me as an AmE speaker. And I would also capitalize "Post Office".

I would remove "right".

Not a teacher.

I would use "as soon as" as in post #2 or nothing at all: "when the Post Office opens". If you use nothing, "when the post office opens" has a meaning different from "when the Post Office is open".

Yes, that was the point I was going to make once we'd established how natural the rest of it was in AmE.

If the Post Office is open from 9am until 5pm, "Take it when/as soon as the Post Office opens" means "Take it at 9am" but "Take it when the Post Office is open" means "Take it any time between 9am and 5pm".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back