• Start date
  • Views : 1,752
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hi everyone
Please somebody help me understand the meaning of this text
ambiguity is not moral equivalence. A continuum is not a slope. Evil is a word. That Baker’s mature and searching study should be met with such hostility is not merely unfortunate; ...
these sentences seem having no relation, what they want to say?

Hi everyone
Please somebody help me understand the meaning of this text
ambiguity is not moral equivalence. A continuum is not a slope. Evil is a word. That Baker’s mature and searching study should be met with such hostility is not merely unfortunate; ...
these sentences seem having no relation, what they want to say?

I can see no connection between them at all. I can only assume that the first 3 sentences are all contained in "Baker's mature and searching study". We are not told what that study was, or what other conclusions he came to.

I can see no connection between them at all. I can only assume that the first 3 sentences are all contained in "Baker's mature and searching study". We are not told what that study was, or what other conclusions he came to.
Here is more complete text:
Early in Human Smoke, Baker quotes diary entries that reveal how he relished his friendship with Hitler in a manner that recalls the pining of fatherless child. Later, in 1941, Goebbels would write: “the world war is here, and the annihilation of the Jews must be a necessary consequence.” Is this disputed? Certainly not by Nicholson Baker.
Moral ambiguity is not moral equivalence. A continuum is not a slope. Evil is a word. That Baker’s mature and searching study should be met with such hostility is not merely unfortunate; it betrays an acute apprehension that in turn masks a deeper need for assurance. Scored in the human condition is a marrow-deep craving for the solace of a Manichean duality that never existed, and never will. To slake this need, a story is repeated, rhetorical snares are set. A refuge is erected. Those who are troubled are given cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back