Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Malaysia
J. Are the underlined words phrasal verbs with a single meaning? (= 'yes')
Or are they combinations of words that can be understood by the individual meaning of each word?
(= 'no')
noyes
1 .He cooked dinner for his wife.
2 .He walked into the building.
3 .It was quite old, so he threw it out.
4 .She made up an interesting story.
5 .She threw the ball out the window.
6 .The police are looking into the theft.
7 .You look so glum. You really need to get over it.

J. Are the underlined words phrasal verbs with a single meaning? (= 'yes')
Or are they combinations of words that can be understood by the individual meaning of each word?
(= 'no')
noyes
1 .He cooked dinner for his wife.
2 .He walked into the building.
3 .It was quite old, so he threw it out.
4 .She made up an interesting story.
5 .She threw the ball out the window.
6 .The police are looking into the theft.
7 .You look so glum. You really need to get over it.

What do you think?

Actually my problem is that i did not understand the question exactly :( maybe with a bit more explanation can find the answer .....
phrasal verbs with a single meaning?
or
combinations of words that can be understood by the individual meaning of each word
could you give me a simple example of each definition ??
thanks in advance......

Actually my problem is that i did not understand the question exactly :( maybe with a bit more explanation can find the answer .....
phrasal verbs with a single meaning?
or
combinations of words that can be understood by the individual meaning of each word
could you give me a simple example of each definition ??
thanks in advance......
Forget the phrase "with a single meaning". It's wrongly worded. They're trying to say that the meaning of a phrasal verb comes from the totality of the main verb and the other elements - not that it can only have a single meaning.

1. "The boy looked up the dictionary." Yes - a phrasal verb. In 1. "to look up" is a phrasal verb, meaning 'to consult'.
2. "The boy looked up the drainpipe." No - not a phrasal verb. In 2. "look up" is the verb "look" followed by a preposition and prepositional phrase.
Where did the boy look? Up the drainpipe? Yes. Up the dictionary? No. "Up the dictionary" is not a valid prepositional phrase, so you can see that 'up' has to go with 'look' in 1. to make a phrasal verb.

Thanks a lot for clarification :) it really helped :)

Hi Sara,

How did the clarification help, im also stuck on this...and have worked myself up so much that ive now confused myself!

Looks as though we are pretty much working through the course at the same time, maybe we could team up to discuss?

Maybe via email/ fb?

Thanks

Kate

I'd say that there are three definites and one maybe in normal interpretation. You could also argue about number 2 on the grounds that he might have entered the building (literal) or smashed into a wall (figurative).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back