Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
1. ''I have a friend from England. He is a student.''
''I have a friend from England who is a student'' OR ''I have a friend who is a student from England'' OR there is no really big difference between them, I can use both of them...

2. ''I wore the sweater to the party. My sister knitted it for me.''
''I wore the sweater my sister had knitted for me to the party'' OR ''I wore the sweater to the party my sister had knitted for me'' OR there is no really big
difference between them, I can use both of them...

I always have diffuculty deciding where I am going to use these preposition. Could you explain these to me with their reasons please?

2b would only be correct if your sister had knitted the party.
Otherwise I have no preference. They sound contrived.

I have a friend from England who is a student - We know two things. We know he is from England. We know that you know him as a student. However, we don't know where you are. If you're in Turkey and so is your friend then we know your friend is from England and that he is a student in Turkey. We don't know what he does in England. He might be a student there too.

I have a friend who is a student from England - Again, I assume your friend is in Turkey but when he is/was in England he is/was a student. We don't know what he does in Turkey.

2b would only be correct if your sister had knitted the party.
Otherwise I have no preference. They sound contrived.

Well, what about first one(1a)? Would it only be correct if England is a student?

I am not a teacher.

Is that a serious question or are you just annoyed at Raymott's answer?

In 1(a) 'who' can only refer to the friend.

I am not a teacher.

Is that a serious question or are you just annoyed at Raymott's answer?

In 1(a) 'who' can only refer to the friend.

Oooh no man, I have a real problem with this issue... And it still exist in my mind.

Why, while the ''who'' only refer to the friend in the sentence ''I have a friend from England who is a student'', the bold text in the sentence ''I wore the sweater to the party my sister had knitted for me'' do not refer to sweater?

I know that if I describe something I have to use ''who, which, whom etc...'' just after the word that I am going to define. In that sense the sentence 1(a) also illogical for me. I would make it like ''I have a friend, who is student, from England

For example:

1. I have a friend who is a student. It is okay!
2. I met four Americans , two of whom could speak Turkish very well. It is okay too.

But when I want to add ''yesterday'' word, for example:
I met four Americans yesterday. Two of them could speak Turkish very well. I don't know where I should add ''yesterday'' in the sentence of 2!

''I met four Americans yesterday two of whom could speak Turkish very well''. OR ''I met four Americans two of whom could speak Turkish very well yesterday''

I hope I could tell my problem and I am sure there is something that I don't know well. (But, I am on the point of figuring out something according to your answers previous, I am looking forward to your answer)

Last edited:
"Who" can only refer to a person.

"...my sister had knitted for me" could refer to any thing. In practice, it will refer to the closest, earlier thing. Which is "party" in that sentence.

"Yesterday" in a similar way refers to the closest, earlier verb it could modify. Did you meet them yesterday? Or did they speak Turkish well yesterday? What do you mean to say?

"Who" can only refer to a person.

"...my sister had knitted for me" could refer to any thing. In practice, it will refer to the closest, earlier thing. Which is "party" in that sentence.

"Yesterday" in a similar way refers to the closest, earlier verb it could modify. Did you meet them yesterday? Or did they speak Turkish well yesterday? What do you mean to say?

Wow... I have started to think the same...

Well, I mean I met them yesterday. Thus, I have to make it like:

''I met four Americans yesterday, two of whom could speak Turkish very well.''

And there is no problem because ''whom'' can only refers to a person or people just like in the example above. Am I right?

Last edited:
Yes. With a comma after "yesterday."

I am aware that this mistake is very very rude and simle but, you know I am not native speaker and in addition to this I am not living in the country where the people speak English... Thanks for all your help, this issue was driving me mad a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back