optimistic pessimist

Member Type
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In a scene in the first Dirty Harry movie, Harrry Callahan's partner, Gonzalez, says to Harry he's going to quit his job.
Later, when Harry is walking downstairs with Gonzalez's wife, she says to Harry how hard it is to be a cop's wife. The following is the dialogue in the scene.

Gonzalez's wife: I thought I could take it ... Whatever it takes to be a cop's wife, I'm just not sure I'm making it. He really tries and these bastards, you know, Pig this, Pig that.
Ah, but maybe it's when I watch him walk out that door at night, and I think, what if this is the last time I ever see him again ... doesn't it drive your wife crazy?Callahan : Nope.
Gonzalez's wife: You mean she got used to it.
Callahan : No, she never did really.

In the dialogue above, what does "Pig, this, Pig that" mean? Is this pig slang to refer to cops?

What does "Pig this, Pig that" mean as a phrase? Is this something like a complaint against cops?

It seems to me that it means that all they talk about is the police (or just maybe being a police officer's wife). It's no doubt what my friends say about me and my obsession with tennis - "It's soooo dull talking to emsr2d2. It's just tennis this, tennis that".

I disagree.

She doesn't call him a pig, or refer to police work as "pig this, pig that."

She is talking about the abuse heaped on him by others during the course of his day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back