Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

Do I write "check in to hotel" or "check into hotel"? :-(

I understand "check in" is a phrasal verb.
Is "check into" also a phrasal verb? Or is the sentence now composed of just the verb "check", the preposition "into" and the noun "hotel"?

I need help understanding why one or the other is correct and the composition of the sentence. Thank you very much in advance.

I found the following by clicking on REFERENCE near the top of the page, then on PHRASAL VERBS:

Check in
- Register on arriving at a hotel or at the airport

Check into
- Register on arriving at a hotel or at the airport

You can use either.

Thanks for the info that they both mean the same thing. However, I'm still a bit concerned about using "check in" followed immediately by the preposition "to".

For example: I would like to check in to the hotel.

Is it acceptable or would it be more correct to write, "I would like to check into the hotel"?

Thanks in advance.

"Check in" is complete in itself. The hotel is implicit. "Check into", on the other hand, requires an object such as "a hotel" or "rehab" or whatever. I think that is what Rover was trying to tell you.

Is "check into" also a phrasal verb? Or is the sentence now composed of just the verb "check", the preposition "into" and the noun "hotel"?

Basically, if the verb + preposition (particle) combine to create a meaning that is different from the dictionary meanings of the individual words, then you're looking at a phrasal verb. So, if you check into a hotel, it means registering on arrival, which is not a combination of the meanings of the two words- it's a phrasal verb to most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back