Past s. & past c. I wasn't looking where I was going when/and I bumped into a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex80

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Past s. & past c. I wasn't looking where I was going when/and I bumped into a man.

Hi !
When an action happened in the middle of another one in the same time, esp. with the use of(as/while, when/and), I noticed that the shorter action(the past simple) doesn't come in the negative. Whereas, the longer action(the past continuous) can.
e.g. I wasn't looking where I was going when/and I bumped into a man.
My question is: can the past simple come in the negative with (when/and ) or wothout them when there is past simple+as/while+ past cont.
I mean, can I make a sentence like this:
I was doing sth and/when sb/sth didn't do sth.
or: While I was doing sth, sb/sth didn't do sth.
If it is possible, please give me some examples.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Past s. & past c. I wasn't looking where I was going when/and I bumped into a ma

Hi !
When an action happened in the middle of another one in the same time, especially with the use of [space] (as/while, when/and), I noticed that the shorter action [space] (the past simple) doesn't come in the negative. Whereas, the longer action [space] (the past continuous) can.

[paragraph break]

e.g. I wasn't looking where I was going when/and I bumped into a man.

[paragraph break]

My question is, can the past simple come in the negative with (when/and[no space]) or without them when there is past simple+as/while+ past continuous? [same paragraph] I mean, can I make a sentence like this?:

[paragraph break]

I was doing something and/when somebody/something didn't do something.

[paragraph break]

or: While I was doing something, somebody/something didn't do something.

[paragraph break]

If it is possible, please give me some examples.

The same practices apply to long and short sentences.

But beyond that, I don't quite undertand the question. Your sample sentences are grammatical but don't mean anything. I don't know how they'd be used in real life.

So you should give us an example to discuss.

[paragraph break]

Thanks in advance.
Separate paragraphs with either indents or breaks. (In an online forum, a break is more common.)

In general, spell complete words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back