Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi all,

I'd like to know if there's any difference between "holiday package" and "package holiday".

Many thanks

A package holiday is a well-established and well-understood way of booking a holiday where all the arrangements are made for you by the travel company.

If you're talking about a 'holiday package' you'll have to explain what you mean by the term.

"Holiday package" would be understood in AmE. In my experience, it is more common than "package holiday". They have the same meaning here.

I'd like to know if there's any difference between "holiday package" and "package holiday".
One's a package and the other's a holiday. That could make a difference in some contexts.

As a stand-alone phrase, I don't see any difference.

The difference, yet again, appears to be that one is used in BrE and the other in AmE. In BrE, we only use "package holiday" as a stock phrase.

I'm with Raymott here. To me, if you are planning to visit, say, Egypt, you could choose between the "all included" package and the "all included except the hotel spa" package, for instance. IMO, both can be called "a package holiday" with the same destination, but different prices.

And they can both be called a "holiday package". There is really no way to create a substantial difference.

And the expression "tourist package"? Can it be used as a synonym for "package holiday" in BrE or AmE?

Thank you

It doesn't work in BrE.

I agree with Mike about the "no difference" in AmE, and with Ems that "tourist package" wouldn't work (in AmE).

I disagree with Barb and Mike. If someone said "holiday package," I would assume Santa left something under their tree.

Or they were in HR and talking about company benefits.

I would not assume that they were talking about a purchased all-inclusive vacation.

Context will sort that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back