Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Belarus
Good evening ,so i was taking my proficiency msu ecpe exams today and i am wondering if my essay is out of topic.Now the topic was about traffic congestion in the cities and which solution is the best 1)to widen the roads 2)to improve means of transportion.
So far so good,i wrote the prologue and then i moved on to the main subject.Here is the problem though.I didnt really write about traffic congestion and i mainly wrote about environmental damage by cars.It was a pretty good essay with correct structure good vocabulary use good grammar and it was easy to read too but i think i am a bit out of topic.So i want you to tell if i am and if there is any chance of me passing the exams?I am really anxious right now....:cry::cry:

Last edited:
Quite apart from the matter of whether or not you were on or off topic, I doubt whether your essay was "a pretty good essay with correct structure good vocabulary use good grammar.." if you did not capitalise your "i's", leave spaces after commas and full stops - or, indeed, insert commas where they were needed.
And yes: from what you say, I would say that your essay did not align with the topic requested.

Good evening. [STRIKE],so[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]was taking[/STRIKE] took my proficiency [STRIKE]msu ecpe[/STRIKE] MSU ECPE exams today and I am wondering if my essay [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was [STRIKE]out of[/STRIKE] off-topic. (Space required after a full stop) [STRIKE]Now[/STRIKE] The topic was [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] traffic congestion in the cities and which solution is the best - 1) to widen the roads or 2) to improve means of transportation.

So far so good. I wrote the prologue and then I moved on to the main subject. (Space required after a full stop.) Here is the problem though. (Space required after a full stop.) I didn't really write about traffic congestion and I mainly wrote about the environmental damage caused by cars. (Space required after a full stop.) It was a pretty good essay with correct structure, good vocabulary use, good grammar and it was easy to read too but I think I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was a bit [STRIKE]out of[/STRIKE] off-topic. (Space required after a full stop.) [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] would like you to tell me if you think I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was and if there is any chance of me passing the exams. I am really anxious right now. [STRIKE].... [/STRIKE] :cry::cry:

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

We can't help with homework, assignments or essays but it appears that your exam is now over. If your essay was not based around how to best solve the problem of traffic congestion, then you were definitely off-topic.

There are multiple errors in your post - I have made corrections above, in red. If your essay was written the same way, you will have lost a lot of marks. Please remember to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

In addition, it's not natural to keep starting sentences with "Now" and "So".

Hello again, i would like to thank both of you for your replies. You have every right to assume that my essay wasnt really good (considering how many mistakes i did when i posted this article) but it was not bad actually. I took my time organized my thought and i wrote as best as i could. Yes i was capitilizing the "i" too. So to be more specific about the question of the essay :<Which do you think is the best out the 2 (widening roads or improving the public transportation) and why?>.This was the question. It didnt say anywhere "which of the 2 is the best solution for the congestion problem".Thats why in my arguements i mainly focuse on the effects of the cars (and other means of transport) for the environment.I discussed with my teacher today about the essay and he said that "as long as you wrote about the disadvantages and advantages of each of the solutions you are not pff- topic because you supported which one is a better solution in your opinion".I will be looking forward for your replies.Also if you want me to give you a better image of the essay or analyze the question better i can certainly do that.

Hello again, i would like to thank both of you for your replies. You have every right to assume that my essay wasnt really good (considering how many mistakes i did when i posted this article) but it was not bad actually. I took my time organized my thought and i wrote as best as i could. Yes i was capitilizing the "i" too. So to be more specific about the question of the essay :<Which do you think is the best out the 2 (widening roads or improving the public transportation) and why?>.This was the question. It didnt say anywhere "which of the 2 is the best solution for the congestion problem".Thats why in my arguements i mainly focuse on the effects of the cars (and other means of transport) for the environment.I discussed with my teacher today about the essay and he said that "as long as you wrote about the disadvantages and advantages of each of the solutions you are not pff- topic because you supported which one is a better solution in your opinion".I will be looking forward for your replies.Also if you want me to give you a better image of the essay or analyze the question better i can certainly do that.

Dear yoloroflcopter

I have two questions for you.
First: why you are so keen to pursue the question of whether or not you went off-topic in your essay? You say that you have already discussed it with your teacher, and he has given you his opinion. I'm sure your teacher is as well placed as any of us on this forum to advise you on this matter. You will find out when you receive your results.

Second, and of more relevance to your posting on this forum: why have you completely ignored emsr2d2's helpful corrections and comments on your previous post? I have highlighted in red the many errors you continue to make - most of them pointed out to you by emsr2d2 earlier. Why, for example, do you persist in not capitalising the word "i" within the body of a sentence? You say you did it in your essay. It's not just for essays; it's for all of your written English.
You will note that I have highlighted the errors you made, but not corrected them for you. Given the fact that you appear to ignore the advice you receive on this forum, I'm not inclined to spend too much of my time spoon-feeding you.

Last edited:

Dear yoloroflcopter

I have two questions for you.
First: why you are so keen to pursue the question of whether or not you went off-topic in your essay? You say that you have already discussed it with your teacher, and he has given you his opinion. I'm sure your teacher is as well placed as any of us on this forum to advise you on this matter. You will find out when you receive your results.

Second, and of more relevance to your posting on this forum: why have you completely ignored emsr2d2's helpful corrections and comments on your previous post? I have highlighted in red the many errors you continue to make - most of them pointed out to you by emsr2d2 earlier. Why, for example, do you persist in not capitalising the word "i" within the body of a sentence? You say you did it in your essay. It's not just for essays; it's for all of your written English.
You will note that I have highlighted the errors you made, but not corrected them for you. Given the fact that you appear to ignore the advice you receive on this forum, I'm not inclined to spend too much of my time spoon-feeding you.

Once again I do appreciate all of your answers and thanks for replying to me and I will try to write more correctly cause now I realize that you are not messing around here and that you take language issues seriously (which is good). You asked me at one point "why I keep on making the question if im off-topic after discussing it with my teacher". I keep doing this question just because I want your opinion on the matter because you are a serious forum here and what you say matters for me. Thank you for all the advices but I do not really have enough time to fix the mistakes emsr2d2 pointed out (I am busy with school exams). So once again if you could give me an answer on my question I would truly appreciate it.:-o

We've given you our opinions already as far as whether you were off-topic or not is concerned. I'm not clear on the marking structure of the "MSU ECPE" exam so I can't tell you whether you might pass.

We don't necessarily expect you to go back and correct all those errors. However, we do expect you to take notice of our advice and not make those errors again in the future. It is not difficult to remember to capitalise "I" every time you write it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back