Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi. I saw this sentence in a British movie and I want to know what's the meaning of that.
This is the expression : " get her mother out of the carpet".

What's the context?

What's the context?
Jack goes to his friend's house and breaks something in her house.
Now Jack's father's talking to him angrily that she's been trying to get her mother out of the carpet all weekend.

That's not much information to go on. If I had to guess, I'd say that it sounds like the thing that was broken was an urn containing the ashes of someone's mother. The ashes had fallen on the carpet and Jack's father has spent the whole weekend trying to clean them up.

Is that what happened in the film?

You started by telling us that Jack went to his friend's house. A competent story-teller wouldn't bring Jack's father into it without explaining how the father too came to be at the house of Jack's friend.

That's not much information to go on. If I had to guess, I'd say that it sounds like the thing that was broken was an urn containing the ashes of someone's mother. The ashes had fallen on the carpet and Jack's father has spent the whole weekend trying to clean them up.

Is that what happened in the film?
Yes, It was in a movie.

You told us at the beginning that it was in a movie. What emsr2d2 asked was whether her guess at what happened was really what happened in the movie. Was it?

Last edited:
One thing I'm sure of is it's not an English expression. Also, it only makes sense (if it makes sense at all) when used in a sentence.

You told us at the beginning that it was in a movie. What emsr2d2 asked was whether her guess at what happened was really what happened in the movie. Was it?
Yes, It was true. It was like what emsr2d2 said.

Yes, it's was true. It was like what emsr2d2 said.

See above. That's not a particularly natural use of "true". The simplest way to say what you wanted to say is "Yes, emsr2d2 was right".

Was it an urn with somebody's ashes in it or just a vase?

Hi. I saw this sentence in a British movie and I want to know what's the meaning of that.
This is the expression : " get her mother out of the carpet".
It may mean out of concealment at first look. But with the context in the movie, I would say the father meant getting out of the mother's attention, to avoid conflict as much as possible

It might be to keep her mother out of the spot, so she wouldn't discover the something damaged.

Unless rezayee comes back with more information, I think we can safely assume emsr2d2's guess is the most likely explanation

It may mean out of concealment at first look. But with the context in the movie, I would say the father meant getting out of the mother's attention, to avoid conflict as much as possible.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by the underlined part.

Furthermore "all weekend" means her mother has no need to work, maybe she would watching TV for a long time on the carpet at home, so whose mam was more "dangerous" for her at weekends.
None of this makes sense, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back