[Grammar] Our Head of Audit is so obtuse that he had no inkling that funds were being ingenuous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishmam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
is there any wrong in this sentence?..someone said should be had been instead of were being...but were being seems no wrong to me....Our Head of Audit is so obtuse that he had no inkling that funds were being ingenuously diverted.

Please correct your profile information, which currently says that your native language is American English. Thank you.

How exactly would funds be ingenuously diverted? He may have been ingenuous not to notice.

How exactly would funds be ingenuously diverted? He may have been ingenuous not to notice.

As Piscean picked up in post #2, the OP meant to say ingeniously.

I would say he didn't notice funds were being embezzled.

(He should get a different job.)

Thank you very much.

Please note my corrections above. We do not allow non-standard abbreviations like "u" here. That is not a word. The word is "you". Always start a sentence with a capital letter and end with one appropriate punctuation mark.

Also, there is no need to ever write a post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button, which you can find in the bottom left-hand corner of every response.

It was a university admission test question.

And the question itself was wrong?

It was an error finding question.Actual question was...

Our Head of Audit is (A)(so obtuse) that he (B)(had) no inkling that funds (C)(were being) (D)(ingenuously) diverted.(E)No error

I do not know sentence itself is correct or not,But sometimes they intentionally give confusing questions to make students more confuse.

It was an error finding question. The actual question was...

Our Head of Audit is (A)(so obtuse) that he (B)(had) no inkling that funds (C)(were being) (D)(ingenuously) diverted.(E)No error

I do not know if the sentence [STRIKE]itself[/STRIKE] is correct or not. But sometimes they intentionally give confusing questions to make the students more confused.

First, I don't agree with you. Second, there is a word that doesn't belong in the sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ishnam

I have deleted your post that read "thank u very much" (sic).

First, we have a Thank button. Please use that rather than posting a thank you message. Secondly, we use correct English here rather than chatlish. Start each sentence with a capital letter and end each with a period (full stop) or other appropriate punctuation mark.

Cross-posted wirh emsr2d2.

Ishman, which word should be deleted in the sentence in question?

:?:

I think 'ingenuously' should be replaced with 'ingeniously'. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, does it?

I think 'ingenuously' should be replaced with 'ingeniously'. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, does it?

It's so unnatural either way that it's not really worth considering.

That is right. But the word is unnecessary in any case.

(It took me a while to figure out the parentheses. Now I know those are the words/phrases you are supposed to consider.)

That's a confusing question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back