Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello all users.

In my opiniom, "Osiris is the first planet ever discovered to evaporate" means as follows:

• Osiris is the first planet that has ever been discovered that evaporates or that is evaporating.
  • Osiris is the first planet that has ever been discovered, the discovery of which refers to its evaporating.
  • This is the first time ever /that/ the planet Osiris which evaporates has been discovered.

What do you think of my interpretation?

Do you think I am on the right track?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Where did you come across that sentence?
You also have some spelling mistakes which we'd like you to fix. ;-)

I don't know how a planet can evaporate.

This will shed some light on the subject: Please type NASA - Dying Planet Leaks Carbon-Oxygen on the Internet.

Hello all users.

In my opiniom, "Osiris is the first planet ever discovered to evaporate" means as follows:

• Osiris is the first planet that has ever been discovered that evaporates or that is evaporating.
  • Osiris is the first planet that has ever been discovered, the discovery of which refers to its evaporating.
  • This is the first time ever /that/ the planet Osiris which evaporates has been discovered.

What do you think of my interpretation?

Do you think I am on the right track?

Thank you.

I am inclined to say it's the first one, but it seems to be saying that the planet has evaporated.

This will shed some light on the subject: Please type "NASA - Dying Planet Leaks Carbon-Oxygen" into Google/a search engine. [STRIKE]on the Internet.[/STRIKE]
I did, and I got more than 16,000 results. Can you please provide us with the link?

"Osiris is the first planet ever discovered to evaporate."

In my opinion that sentence is so poorly written as to defy interpretation. Where did you find it? Did you write it yourself?

Maybe the planet is in a different solar system. That would explain a lot.

II am sorry for misleading you. I found the sentence in question somewhere on YouTube, but I don't remember the title.

Yes, this is the so-called exoplanet (the planet outside our solar system). The planet is still evaporating.

II am sorry for misleading you. I found the sentence in question somewhere on YouTube, but I don't remember the title of the video.
There's still one more typo in your original post; can you spot it?;-)

I have found the title at last.

Space's 10 most amazing alien planets - on YouTube.

Jacek, it's not the exoplanet. It's an explanet. In fact, quite a few of them have been discovered.

Perhaps:

Osiris, the vanishing planet.

I doubled "I" in "I am sorry for misleading you".

This just in. The residents of Osiris are asking for help. Their planet is evaporating, and they need to evacuate. They want to know if we have room for them here on Earth. (I wonder how they will react when they find out the "room" we have for them is on Antarctica.)

You do have a good sense of humour.

What about my.interpretations? Do you find them acceptable?

I think that "the first planet" refers to both the fact that it has been discovered and to the fact that it is evaporating.

Last edited:
What about my.interpretations? Do you find them acceptable?

Well, the first one is the only one that is even close to being accurate. Perhaps:

Osiris, an exoplanet, is the only planet to be discovered that is evaporating.

Last edited:
Your first interpretation is the correct one, and obviously it's still in the process of evaporating atmosphere. Otherwise if the atmosphere had already all evaporated, we wouldn't be seeing anything other than an atmosphere-less planet.

In other words, this is the first time the process has actually been observed. Of course, we're technically only seeing what was happening there 150 years ago, but I won't argue the semantics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back