... originally started in the U.K. and popular in many European countries.

teacherjapan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Water polo is an aquatic sport originally started in the U.K. and popular in many European countries.

I am not sure about the use of “and” here.
Does this combine “started” and “popular” or “an aquatic sport“ and “popular”?

This is an excerpt from a school textbook called Reading C. The original source is unknown.

Water polo is an aquatic sport.

Water polo is an aquatic sport originally started in the U.K.

Water polo is an aquatic sport originally started in the U.K., AND (it's) popular in many European countries.

The word "and" is a conjunction used to connect words, phrases, or clauses that are to be taken jointly. Here are some of its uses and rules:

Connecting Words​

• Nouns: "apples and oranges"
  • Adjectives: "happy and excited"
  • Verbs: "run and jump"

Connecting Phrases​

• Noun Phrases: "a cup of tea and a slice of cake"
  • Verb Phrases: "sitting on the couch and watching TV"

Connecting Clauses​

• Independent Clauses: "She went to the store, and he stayed at home."
  • Dependent and Independent Clauses: "Although it was raining, we went for a walk and enjoyed the day."

Rules to Note​

• Serial Commas (Oxford Commas): In a list of three or more items, use a comma before "and" (optional but recommended for clarity). For example, "We bought apples, oranges, and bananas."
  • Parallel Structure: Ensure elements connected by "and" are grammatically parallel. For instance, "She likes reading and swimming" (both gerunds).

Examples in Marketing​

• Connecting Benefits: "Our product is affordable and effective."
  • Combining Features: "This software offers real-time analytics and automated reporting."

Hello @tommydoyle.me2 and welcome to the forum. The location given in your user profile appears to be wrong. Please correct it.

Also, please state clearly that you're posting answers generated by AI tools.

Very helpful information. (Post #4) 😊

According to what Tarheel says, “and” connects “an aquatic sport” and “popular.”

I am getting confused because I thought that “and” connects “originated” and “popular.” Does it mean both
interpretations are correct?

I am somewhat familiar with how conjunctions work, and I am especially confused about this particular sentence.

According to what Tarheel says, “and” connects “an aquatic sport” and “popular.”
Well, it's an aquatic sport. (It takes place in water.) And it's popular in some European countries.

I am somewhat familiar with how conjunctions work, and I am especially confused about this particular sentence.
It might help if you didn't oversimplify it. Also, "and" doesn't work in that sentence at all. Try: "I am somewhat familiar with how conjunctions work. However, this particular sentence confuses me."

It might help if you didn't oversimplify it.

The sentence has three components:

Definition: Water polo is an aquatic sport.
Historical fact: It was originally started in the UK.
Current fact: It is popular in many European countries.

The conjunction 'and' conjoins the two facts.

A well-placed comma would help you read this:

Water polo is an aquatic sport, originally started in the UK and popular in many European countries.

The sentence has three components:

Definition: Water polo is an aquatic sport.
Historical fact: It was originally started in the UK.
Current fact: It is popular in many European countries.

The conjunction 'and' conjoins the two facts.

A well-placed comma would help you read this:

Water polo is an aquatic sport, originally started in the UK and popular in many European countries.
This is exactly the answer I’ve been looking for. The comma makes the sentence easier to read.

I read that (the part after "is") as one long noun phrase.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back