Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I sometimes get confused with (or By? :-() the place of an adverb in a sentence. I know the rule but I regularly see counter-examples!!

Is this sentence correct: We may have a few minutes only. Would it be better to say: We may only have a few minutes. ?

Thanks
W

Hello,

I sometimes get confused with (or By? :-() the place of an adverb in a sentence. I know the rule but I regularly see counter-examples!!

Is this sentence correct: We may have a few minutes only. Would it be better to say: We may only have a few minutes. ?

Thanks
W

Yes, it is better to say it the second way. However, you might hear someone say it the other way. I am not quite sure why one would do this, but, while it appears awkward in the written form, it doesn't "sound" terrible. Perhaps in the first sentence the emphasis is being placed on the limited number of minutes, I don't know.

Yes, it is better to say it the second way. However, you might hear someone say it the other way. I am not quite sure why one would do this, but, while it appears awkward in the written form, it doesn't "sound" terrible. Perhaps in the first sentence the emphasis is being placed on the limited number of minutes, I don't know.

Thank you. Which is the right preposition "with" or "by"? I get confused with /by?

Thanks
W

I believe you should use 'confused by'. 'confused with' is usually used slightly differently. It is used when it is difficult to understand the difference between two things. For example,
Swine flu can be confused with the common cold.

I believe you should use 'confused by'. 'confused with' is usually used slightly differently. It is used when it is difficult to understand the difference between two things. For example,
Swine flu can be confused with the common cold.

Thank you for the clear explanation. That is very helpful. Now what are your thoughts about the use of "placing" rather than "place" in the original sentence. I have the sense that either word could be used. One emphasizes location while the other emphasizes the activity of placing it.

But I'm not so sure...

And what about this one:

-At that time, I could speak English fluently.

-At that time, I could fluently speak English.

I'd go with the first one but the rule I know goes with the second.

What about you?

W

And what about this one:

What about you?

W

I agree. The first sentence sounds more natural.

And what about this one:

What about you?

W

I agree with Fred as I have never heard the second one. It sounds worse - avoid it. I can/could/may/might speak English fluently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back