Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Do I take an oral or verbal examination as opposed to a written test?

Last edited:
Do I take an oral or verbal examination as opposed to a written test?
This might differ across regions. An "oral examination" is what a dentist does. But here, it can also be a viva voce, ie a spoken exam.
"Verbal exam" is also used - as long as it's clear that you'll be tested on more than just verbs!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_exam

It's been discussed many times in the forum but I'm going to ask you again. Do I demonstrate my knowledge in the spoken exam or on the spoken exam?

My Oxford Dictionary marks 'in her exams' as 'BrE' and 'on her exams', 'NAmE'.

Not a teacher.

It's been discussed many times in the forum but I'm going to ask you again.
Why? Do you think the answer has changed?
Note that Matthew's answer probably refers to exams in general (in US), where you generally write 'on' the answer sheet.

Last edited:
In the US, we have oral exams. It would be clear from the context whether that was an academic setting in which you demonstrate your knowledge talking about the subject or that was in a dentist's chair.

So I could use 'on' for both an oral and written exam?

In BrE, you could use:

How did you do in your oral exam?
How did you do at your oral exam?
How did you do on your oral exam?

I would equate "in" and "on" with the actual result, but I might use "at" a few minutes after someone took that exam and I would be asking for their opinion as to how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back