Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Eggsy: Am I supposed to wait for everyone else to be served before I start eating?
Harry: Only if the dish being served is cold. Or if the Queen is present. Otherwise tuck in.

Does Harry saying Eggsy should wait for everyone else to be served if the dish being served is cold?
Source: Kingsman: The Golden Circle 2017

Eggsy: Am I supposed to wait for everyone else to be served before I start eating?
Harry: Only if the dish being served is cold (no full stop here) or if the Queen is present. Otherwise, tuck in.

[STRIKE]Does[/STRIKE] ​Is Harry saying Eggsy should wait for everyone else to be served if the dish being served is cold?

Source: Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

Yes, if a cold dish is served, Eggsy has to wait for everyone else to have their food on the table in front of them before he starts eating. If it's a hot dish, people can (presumably) start eating as soon as their food is in front of them, to save the food going cold while waiting for everyone else to be served. If the queen is at the table, everyone has to wait until she starts eating before they are allowed to start.

And by tradition, when the queen stops eating, everyone else has to stop. Therefore, if you are invited to eat with the queen, eat fast.

I live in dread of being invited to dine with the queen—I'm a very slow eater.:-(

She hasn't got around to inviting me yet. If she does, I'll stop off for a starter on the way to keep hunger at bay. Mind you, I have no idea how fast she eats.

Somehow, my invite to luncheon in the Buck House dining room with Her Maj and Phil the Greek has failed to materialise. Maybe they know my response would be "Fine, but I'm vegan and gluten-free and I'm not bloody curtsying to anyone!"

I live in dread of being invited to dine with the queen—I'm a very slow eater.:-(

I've left hungry after every single meal I've had with her.

I have to confess that I've also left all of those repasts totally satiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back