Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
Should I use "onboard" or "in the plane"?

"The baby was crying most of the time when he was onboard."

I'd say on the plane. "On board" is not impossible but I probably wouldn't think to say it. Note that "on board" is two words.

I'd say on the plane. "On board" is not impossible but I probably wouldn't think to say it. Note that "on board" is two words.

Why is it wrong to use "in" in English when talking about buses, trains, planes, and ships?

Because that is not the preposition we use with those means of transport.
Is the word "boat" the only exception? With "ferry" you also use on.

Is the word "boat" the only exception? With "ferry" you also use on.
It isn't an exception. It's the natural preposition for use with some kinds of boats.

This is an example of things you will just have to memorise.

We travel:

in a car
in a taxi
in an airship
in a helicopter
on a motorbike
on a bus
on a train
on a tram
on a boat
on a ship
on a ferry
on a hovercraft
on a plane
on a coach
on foot

With the exception of "on foot", you could use "by" before the mode of transport instead of "in/on a".

Are they ever used together? "On board of the plane" or "on board of the ship"?

This doesn't answer your latest question, but I thought I'd note that when you board a ship, a member of the crew may welcome you aboard.

And if you're at an American train station, a conductor may holler "All aboard!" when the train is about to depart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back