Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
May I, please, know a few possible combinations in which 'whim' can be used?
I've already heard of 'as the whim takes you!'.
Is it also right to say, 'whatever whim you have!'?!

Thanks!

I usually only hear "on a whim," like "they decided to go to Paris on a whim."

Not merely liking, but specifically a momentary desire. Sometimes you do things on a whim you might regret later.

PS. Whatever your whim may be. He acted on a whim. He acted on his whim. He went wherever his whim took him. Have your whim! -- Have your way, no matter how strange I think it is. My wine whim that night was an 1888 Chateau Latour.

Last edited:
Not merely liking, but specifically a momentary desire. Sometimes you do things on a whim you might regret later.

PS. Whatever your whim may be. He acted on a whim. He acted on his whim. He went wherever his whim took him. Have your whim! -- Have your way, no matter how strange I think it is. My wine whim that night was an 1888 Chateau Latour.

"Have your whim! -- Have your way, no matter how strange I think it is. My wine whim that night was an 1888 Chateau Latour" These seem very unnatural to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back