Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This comes from a Wikipedia article about Physics of the Impossible.

Class I Impossibilities are "technologies that are impossible today, but that do not violate the known laws of physics." Kaku speculates that these technologies may become available in some limited form in a century or two.
(...)
Teleportation is a class I impossibility, in that it does not violate the laws of physics, and could possibly exist on the time scale of a century. In 1988, researchers first teleported information at the quantum level. As of 2018 information can be teleported from Atom A to Atom B, for example. But this is nothing like beaming Captain Kirk down to a planet and back. In order to do that, a person would have to be dissolved atom by atom then rematerialized at the other end. On the scale of a decade, it will probably be possible to teleport the first molecule, and maybe even a virus.
I'm not sure if I understand what on the scale of a decade (in blue) means. I'd normally say it means the same as within a decade, but in this context, I don't think molecular teleportation is plausible within a decade.

I can find on the time scale of a century (in green), but it might refer to full-on teleportation. The on the scale of a decade part refers only to teleporting a single molecule/virus.

What does on the scale of a decade mean?

A) Between 1 and 10 years, within a decade.
B) Between 10 and 100 years, in decades, not centuries or millenia.
C) None of the above.

Last edited:
Kaku is making a prediction as to when we can expect the first teleportation of a molecule. His prediction is: 10 years from now. That's all it means.

It could be the result of an edit- it's a page that is constantly edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back