On next week, In last year, Preposition is not necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi All,

"I am going to Japan on next week" or "I am going to Japan next week."
"I went to HK in last year." or "I went to HK last year."

William

Hi All,

"I am going to Japan on next week" or "I am going to Japan next week."
"I went to HK in last year." or "I went to HK last year."

William

No preposition is required. If you would like further clarification, please ask.

No preposition is required. If you would like further clarification, please ask.

Thanks for your prompt reply. But I'd like to know, the sentence as follows, should we use preposition.

In next week, I'll go to Hong Kong.

Thanks for your prompt reply. But I'd like to know, the sentence as follows, should we use preposition.

In next week, I'll go to Hong Kong.

No, you can simply say "Next week, I am going to Hong Kong" or "I am going to Hong Kong next week". Please note that if you have arranged to go to Hong Kong, use "am going to" not "will go", we use "will go" for snap decisions and "going to" for things that have been planned. For example, your boss says to you "I need you to visit the office in Hong Kong" you say "OK I'll go tomorrow/next week etc." in the evening you go home and say to your wife "I am going to Hong Kong on business tomorrow".

:up: "On next week, In last year, Preposition is not necessary?" It's not just unnecessary, it's necessary to avoid it, when the phrase after the preposition is adverbial. But in something like 'In next year's race I'll beat him', you do need the preposition.

b

Last edited:
bhaisahab and BobK, thank you very much for your teaching. I learnt a lot from you guys.....please correct me right away if you think my english has any problem. Thanks again.

Hi bhaisahab, as no one answer my question, I'd like to know when writing Resume or CV, one part is called "Working Experience" or "Work Experience"? Please advise. Thanks

Regards,

William

work experience

Or simply "Experience" or depending on your experience, "Professional Experience"

(For example, my days waitressing, working as a lifeguard, and running a game at the Renaissance Festival, although fun jobs, don't show up on my resume under "Professional Experience.")

that's an experienced professional's opinion.

in, on, at are not used with next, last, this, that, one, any, some, every, or all (I think that's all of them). They are also not used with yesterday, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and the day before yesterday.

I just wrote up a blog article on this, read more on using prepositions.

in, on, at are not used with next, last, this, that, one, any, some, every, or all (I think that's all of them). They are also not used with yesterday, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, and the day before yesterday.

I just wrote up a blog article on this, read more on using prepositions.

Hi Macanundo, thank you for your information. But sometime I hear people say "At this time" "In this time", are they incorrect?

Hi Macanundo, thank you for your information. But sometime I hear people say "At this time" "In this time", are they incorrect?

"At this time" is perfectly correct as are "at that time"; "at any time"; "at one time"; "at all times".

"At this time" is perfectly correct as are "at that time"; "at any time"; "at one time"; "at all times".

Hi bhaisahab, can I say "We have dinner at ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"? Is the sentence correct? Please advise.

WYH

Hi bhaisahab, can I say "We have dinner at ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"? Is the sentence correct? Please advise.

WYH

It's better like this:
"We will have/are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"

Strictly speaking you don't need "p.m." and "tonight" one of them would suffice.

It's better like this:
"We will have/are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 p.m. tonight"

Strictly speaking you don't need "p.m." and "tonight" one of them would suffice.

"We are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 tonight." If we use "We are having", does it mean the dinner is already started?

"We are having dinner at the ABC restaurant at 8 tonight." If we use "We are having", does it mean the dinner is already started?

No, because you have a future indication with "at 8 tonight".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back