Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi ,
In a video from tv show friends joey says "oh , you do , do you ?" in response to Ross.

Ross: "Now, Don't listen to him all Pheebs , i think it is endearing "
Joey: ( as response to Ross ) "Oh , you do , do you ?"

What does Joey trying to tell ? What is the meaning here ?
I know it is not easy to answer without context. So here is the part of the show :

Here it may be related to Ross's talking style in general. "He is sometimes stressing each word one by one."

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Offhand, I'd say Joey is questioning Ross's sincerity.

Say:

What is Joey trying to say?

Better:

What does Joey mean by that?

Hi.

In a video from the TV show Friends, Joey says "Oh, you do, do you?" in response to Ross.

Ross: "Now, don't listen to him, all Pheebs. I think it is it's endearing."
Joey: (as in response to Ross) "Oh, you do, do you?"

What does is Joey trying to tell say? What is the meaning here?
I know it is not easy to answer without context no full stop here so here is the relevant part of the show:

Here, it may be related to Ross's talking style in general.

"He is sometimes stressing each word one by one." Who are you quoting here? The quotation marks suggest you are giving us someone else's words.

Thanks in advance for your answer. Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any response you find useful.
They're all making fun of each other's little quirks so yes, Joey is emulating Ross's speech pattern.

Please note my multiple corrections above. You need to concentrate on your punctuation and spacing around it. Always follow these rules:

Never put a space before a comma, full stop, colon, semi-colon, question mark or exclamation mark.
Never put a space after an opening bracket.
Never put a space before a closing bracket.

Remember to capitalise all proper nouns (people's names, names of TV shows and films, countries, languages, etc).
Always write "TV", never "tv".

... and Ross with his overpronouncing every single word ... (1:46)

I've only ever encountered this grammatical structure in the forms of "you do, don't you?" and "you don't, do you?", I've never seen the "you do, do you?" variation before. What's the difference and what is this structure called (if it even has a name)?

It's friendly banter. Look at it that way. Pay attention to the intonation. That's how you will learn it.

It's friendly banter. Look at it that way. Pay attention to the intonation. That's how you will learn it.
Thank you for your response @Tarheel. Actually the problem is i can not put " Oh, you do, do you?" into some gramatical structure. Is it a valid statement? And also, if someone had asked me to translate this to my native language, i could not have done it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response @Tarheel . Actually the problem is i can not put " Oh , you do , do you ?" into some gramatical structure. Is it a valid statement? And also, if someone had asked me to translate this to my native language , i could not have done it.
Please look at post #3 again. I gave you some very important rules of spacing around punctuation but you've made all the same errors again. I've marked the errors in red above. We like to see that learners are taking notice of our advice. Please write post #7 again, following those rules.

@vilicay You might have noticed that in my post I didn't mention grammar at all.

I don't remember the original question at this point, but I did see my post -- at least the part you quoted. Maybe I should look at the original post and try again.

If I was your tutor I would probably say that if you want to understand the grammar of that sentence you should learn that on your own. Why? It's because knowing the grammar terminology for that sentence isn't going to help you much as far as understanding what is said.

My advice is free. Maybe it's worth exactly what you are paying for it. Nevertheless, I think translating everything from English to Turkish isn't going to help you much at this point. When you do that you understand -- more or less -- what the sentence means in Turkish. That is not, I think, what you want. (I could be wrong.)

Please look at post #3 again. I gave you some very important rules of spacing around punctuation but you've made all the same errors again. I've marked the errors in red above. We like to see that learners are taking notice of our advice. Please write post #7 again, following those rules.
Thank you for your feedback. I think now it's better.

Thank you for your feedback. I think now it's better.
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but apparently something is better.

I looked at the OP (original post) again. You didn't ask about grammar at all.

Different languages are, of course, different. I am not a linguist, but I am fairly sure some things are pretty much the same the world 'round. One thing that's important is the level of tension. If a person is relaxed the level of tension is going to be low. If a person is angry the level of tension is going to be high.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but apparently something is better.
In post #8, I asked the OP to correct the spacing around the punctuation in post #7. That's been done and that's what's better. I think that's pretty clear from the contents of post #10.

Actually the problem is i can not put " Oh, you do, do you?" into some gramatical structure.

Why not?

The tag at the end (do you?) is a question tag (auxiliary + subject). These are extremely common in English, and they can take many forms and do many things.

Is it a valid statement?

No, it's not a statement. It's a way to challenge what the person who just spoke said. In this context, however, it's not even that—it's primarily a way for Joey to mock Ross's speech patterns. It's a joke.

And also, if someone had asked me to translate this to my native language, i could not have done it.

No, you can't translate it literally. You'd have to find a different phrase.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back