Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are the sentences 1-3 correct with the given meanings?

1) He offered a lot of money to get the manuscript for him.
2) He offered a lot of money for getting the manuscript for him.
Meaning: He said he'd give a lot of money to whoever got the manuscript for him.
3) He offered me a lot of money for getting the manuscript for him.
Meaning: He said he'd give me a lot of money if I got the manuscript for him.

Try:

He offered me a lot of money to get the manuscript for him.

"Offer" is a transitive verb.

Very often, asking whether a sentence is correct is just not good enough.

Perhaps you're asking something related to the differences between using to-infinitive and for -ing. Or perhaps you're asking something about patterns of use of the verb 'offer'. Which is it?

Thank you all very much,

I wanted to know if one could use 'offer' without an indirect object (that is the case of sentence 1 and sentence 2) and also if offer could be used with the gerund and with an indirect object (sentence 3).

I wanted to know if one could use 'offer' without an indirect object (that is the case of sentence 1 and sentence 2) and also if offer could be used with the gerund and with an indirect object (sentence 3).

So why didn't you ask that?

Thank you very much, Jutfrank,

My apologies. I thought I was simplifying things when I was making them more complicated. I thought 'concrete' examples would be easier to evaluate without them being attached to grammatical concepts. From now on. I will try to include both in my questions. Sorry.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back