Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=&#23435]During the march of times down these years bringing about progress in every human endeavour, I have good reason to say that the World English is definitely a great improvement upon the chinese Students'weekly."[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]My question is:[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]1. why does the author use times,but not time?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]2.What's the meaning of during the march of times down these years?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]3.What's the function of bringing about?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Thanks a lot![/FONT]

[FONT=&#23435]During the march of times down these years bringing about progress in every human endeavour, I have good reason to say that the World English is definitely a great improvement upon the chinese Students'weekly."[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]My question is:[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]1. why does the author use times,but not time?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]2.What's the meaning of during the march of times down these years?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]3.What's the function of bringing about?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Thanks a lot![/FONT]

"March of time" would have been better. It means about the sames as "down THROUGH the years". "Bringing about" means "producing". It is a participle modifying "march" -- or "years" (it's not clear).

I am guessing that they are two names of magazines. Am I right?

What does this mean?
I'll try to help you.The world of English is a magazine in China.Maybe [FONT=&#23435]the chinese Students'weekly is a magazine , too.[/FONT]
Anything else?Cheers!

"March of time" would have been better. It means about the sames as "down THROUGH the years". "Bringing about" means "producing". It is a participle modifying "march" -- I or "years" (it's not clear).
I agree with you , Thanks a lot!

"March of time" would have been better. It means about the sames as "down THROUGH the years". "Bringing about" means "producing". It is a participle modifying "march" -- or "years" (it's not clear).
:up: The singular would be better here because of the collocation. But in other contexts there's not much difference in meaning - 'At a time like this' means pretty much the same as 'At times like these'/'At such times'/'At times such as this'. Far be it from me to inhibit the progress of world English, but it seems to me that 'During the march of times down these years bringing about progress in every human endeavour...' doesn't mean anything much. :?:;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back