Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
- He created a small sculpture of his buddy that (or "whom") he deeply respects.

In the above sentence that I created, are "that" and "whom" interchangeable? I know "that" can be used for a person, but in the above sentence, is it correct grammatically?

You mean to make a non-defining relative clause, so you can't use that. You can use either who or whom instead. You also need a comma.

He created a small sculpture of his buddy, who he deeply respects.

You mean to make a non-defining relative clause, so you can't use that. You can use either who or whom instead. You also need a comma.

a non-defining relative in this case, as in "he deeply respects" is a non-essential information?

I thought it is an essential information (restrictive clause) because "who" is "his buddy"? Oooh I think I'm confused!

He created a small sculpture of the buddy of his that he deeply respects.
He created a small sculpture of his buddy, who(m) he deeply respects.

The relative clause in #1 is defining, in #2 non-defining.

#1 suggests he has more than one buddy, #2 that he has only one.

a non-defining relative in this case, as in "he deeply respects" is a non-essential information?

Yes.

I thought it is an essential information (restrictive clause) because "who" is "his buddy"?

No.

You can easily tell whether a clause is non-essential by simply removing it:

He created a small sculpture of his buddy.

I'm sorry. I still don't understand why using "that" is incorrect: He created a small sculpture of his buddy that he deeply respects.

I'm sorry. I still don't understand why using "that" is incorrect: He created a small sculpture of his buddy that he deeply respects.

Because you mean to make a non-defining relative clause, and you can't use that in non-defining relative clauses. Also, his buddy is a person, so you should use who.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back