Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "occupying as it does the contradiction between", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

But none of us are able to really see the world we are living in—this world, occupying as it does the contradiction between its banality (the squat wall of the Detention Center, the bus running along its ordinary route) and its extremity (the cell and the man inside the cell), is something that we see only briefly and then do not see again for a long time, if ever. It is surprisingly easy to forget what you have witnessed, the horrifying image or the voice speaking the unspeakable, in order to exist in the world we must and we do forget, we live in a state of I know but I do not know.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 7

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is thinking about the unspeakable crimes she learned while working at the Court, and marvels at how the institution dealing with these unspeakable crimes sits in the broad daylight in a normal city.

In this part, I find it difficult to parse this phrase.
Is it that "this word occupies the contradiction", like this world exists inside the contradiction...?
Even more confusing to me is how "as it does" is inserted there. 😵

Do you know about the hideous tortures some political prisoners have been subjected to?

Paraphrase it like this: This world, which occupies the contradiction ...

It's not that the world 'lives inside' the contradiction but rather that the contradiction 'lives inside' the world.

@Tarheel and @jutfrank,

Thank you very much for the explanation.
Oh, so it is the contradiction that occupies the world, rather than vice versa! I learned a new thing thanks to you.
In that case, I guess "occupy" would have the following meaning (though I am not so sure) :

to keep someone busy or interested:
On long journeys I occupy myself with solving maths puzzles.

And "as it does" would simply mean the current state of the world, I guess. :D

So, this part would be: "this world, which contains/is preoccupied with, as its current state, the contradiction..."

Do you know about the hideous tortures some political prisoners have been subjected to?
Oh, what hideous tortures they would have been subjected to, I wouldn't dare guess...!

I sincerely appreciate your help. :)

@Coffee Break
I posted my comment because I'm pretty sure that's what they are referring to in that article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back