Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I have a question about the usage of the verb "observe". There are two definitions of the verb "observe" at issue:

-1.1 Watch (someone or something) carefully and attentively

-2.2 Perform or take part in (a rite or ceremony)

If I write this:

"They observed the ground-breaking ceremony."

Is the sentence ambiguous because both def 1.1 and 2.2 would work?

Last edited by a moderator:
**** I am not a teacher ****

Yes. Without context, we won't know which one of the two it means. (Although, I would hope that 2.2 includes 1.1, otherwise in the context of ground-breaking, it could be dangerous. ;-) ).

It's unlikely that the second meaning is meant here IMO. I would use the second meaning for standard, proper rituals like funerals.

It's unlikely that the second meaning is meant here IMO. I would use the second meaning for standard, proper rituals like funerals.

I stand corrected. :oops:

For ground-breaking, is it better to say "They performed the ground-breaking ceremony"?

That's OK, or had/held, but observe, at least to me, suggests that they were following something like a rite, with a format set out to follow. I know ground-breaking ceremonies tend to be similar, but that is not like ritual.

I agree. I don't see any ambiguity there.

I'd agree with Tdol - if you're using the definition of 2.2 for observe, then it's referring to something ritualistic or traditional.

For example, we speak of observing the Sabbath, observing a particular holiday, observing a particular custom. They carry the meaning of participating in, but also convey some sense of following a custom, tradition, ritual, etc.

Besides, while there may be a crowd watching a groundbreaking ceremony, there are usually only a few people who actually participate - generally the business/company owner or representative, and some kind of government/state/city official. Maybe one or two other representatives from other entities involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back