Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Do these words refer to the same place? My interpretation is a 'creche' is a part of a working place. Hope someone will help me with this.

Many thanks!

While you're waiting for a BrE-speaker to reply, I'll just say that the word creche in AmE is only used for a representation of the Nativity scene. Nursery, however can refer to a baby's bedroom, to a hospital ward for newborns, or to a pre-school for young children.

While you're waiting for a BrE-speaker to reply, I'll just say that the word creche in AmE is only used for a representation of the Nativity scene. Nursery, however can refer to a baby's bedroom, to a hospital ward for newborns, or to a pre-school for young children.

Actually, I do appreciate your replying to my question. Many thanks!

Hi,
Do these words refer to the same place? My interpretation is a 'creche' is a part of a working place. Hope someone will help me with this.

Many thanks!

In BrE, a "nursery" can be a baby's bedroom, a shortened version of "nursery school", which is for children of between about 2 and 4, or another word for a garden centre (a shop selling plants and other garden equipment).

A "creche" is normally an area in a workplace where people can leave their children at the beginning of the working day and pick them up again at the end. It's not necessarily at their own workplace. There are creches which are in separate buildings. It sometimes applies to a place where children are looked after but not connected to work. For example, at a wedding I attended recently, the bride and groom told everyone that there would be a creche facility available where they could leave their children while they (the parents) came to the wedding and the party afterwards, without having to bring and worry about their kids.

In BrE, a "nursery" can be a baby's bedroom, a shortened version of "nursery school", which is for children of between about 2 and 4, or another word for a garden centre (a shop selling plants and other garden equipment).

A "creche" is normally an area in a workplace where people can leave their children at the beginning of the working day and pick them up again at the end. It's not necessarily at their own workplace. There are creches which are in separate buildings. It sometimes applies to a place where children are looked after but not connected to work. For example, at a wedding I attended recently, the bride and groom told everyone that there would be a creche facility available where they could leave their children while they (the parents) came to the wedding and the party afterwards, without having to bring and worry about their kids.

Thank you so much! So, I suppose there could also be places at restaurants for kids, called, perhaps, creches? Thanks again!

Thank you so much! So, I suppose there could also be places at restaurants for kids, called, perhaps, creches? Thanks again!

There might be restaurants with creches. I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If they don't, they should, so that those of us who want to go to a restaurant at a weekend or during the day don't have their meal spoilt by kids running around everywhere, uncontrolled by irresponsible parents! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back