Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Nowhere do the 1980 census statistics dramatize more the American search for spacious living than in the far west.

This sentence is an inverted one. What’s its original pattern? Can it be changed like this: The1980 census statistics dramatize the American search for spacious living nowhere more than in the Far West?

I think so. I have a feeling that it's not exactly the same, but can't pin it down. Perhaps someone else can. But the original is right and is much clearer. Otherwise, the sentence starts 'the 1980 census statistics' [yawn ... Why should I care about THEM? The inversion starts with the most attention-grabbing word, 'Nowhere', which makes the reader think 'What/Why/Who...?)

b

I agree with Bob. When you modify the sentence, it makes more sense to say "...search for spacious living especially in the far west."

Can we paraphrase the original sentence as following?

The 1980 census statistics dramatize the American search for spacious living, which is particularly noticeable in the far west.

Yes, that works.

Is the following OK?
'The 1980 census statistics dramatize the American search for spacious living in the far west more than in any other places.'

Not a teacher.

Matthew, I think that misses the point. The reason that that the far west was mentioned is because there is more open space there.

The construction below is the same as that of the OP's sentence.
'Nowhere does the report emphasize more the company's investment than in Guilin.'
Can it be rewritten as 'The report emphasizes the company's investment in Guilin more than in any other places'?

Not a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back