Now there has been a strong wind blowing since morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newkeenlearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Pashto, Pushto
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
United States
Could you please proofread the following?(When we want to let someone know about the weather yesterday and today.)

1. It was raining here since morning yesterday. Now there has been a strong wind blowing since morning.
  2. It was raining there since morning yesterday. Now there is a strong wind which has been blowing since morning.
  3. It was raining there since morning yesterday. Now it has been strong windy since morning.

Could you please proofread the following?(space) (It's to let someone know about the weather yesterday and today.)

1. It has been raining here since yesterday morning. There has been a strong wind blowing since morning.
  2. It had been raining there since yesterday morning. Now there is a strong wind which has been blowing since morning.
  3. It had been raining there since yesterday morning. It has been very windy since morning. Or: There has been a strong wind since morning.
If it's still raining, say has been. If the rain has stopped, say had been.

In the first and third, the time (now) is strongly implied, so it's redundant.

I don't know whether the British say morning yesterday. (I know they say Tuesday last.) In the US, we say yesterday morning. (And we never say Tuesday last.)

We don't say morning yesterday.

Some of us very occasionally say I saw her on Tuesday last, but mostly it's I saw her last Tuesday.

Can we say "It is windy today"?

Someone asks me "how is the weather there?"

In that context, yes, that's a good response. You can imagine a phone conversation:

A: How is the weather there?
B: It's windy today.

If it's still raining, say has been. If the rain has stopped, say had been.
If I want to tell my friend about how the weather was yesterday, then I should say "It had been raining yesterday morning." or "It was raining yesterday morning"?

If I want to tell my friend about how the weather was yesterday, then I should say "It had been raining yesterday morning." or "It was raining yesterday morning"?

You could say either:

It was raining yesterday morning.
It rained yesterday morning.

Which one you say would depend on the context of the conversation.

It rained all day yesterday. It rained today too. It looks like it will be dark tonight.

;-)

There is no reason to use the past perfect there.

Yesterday was a dreary, rainy day,
But now the sun has come out to play.

:)

Bob: Ron, how is the weather there? Please explain.
Ron: The wind is blowing, and the wind is bringing rain.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back