Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My son had an English test that he did not do so well. When looking over the questions to help him, I found myself having problems too.
The test contains sentences with underlined words that you are to say whether it is a noun, pronoun, or adjective. The sentences are below.
1.) Many have heard about how the pony express carried the mail in 1860 and 1861.
2.) I can't believe you said that!
3.) The alphabet uses raised dots that the visually impaired can feel.
4.) These are the short stories that my friends and I wrote.
5.) One of us is sure to win the prize, which is a scholarship to a summer writing workshop.

There are other sentences with similar words that he got correct. I would just like someone to explain to me how to tell the difference when these words are used as adjectives versus pronouns.

My son had an English test that he did not do so well. When looking over the questions to help him, I found myself having problems too.
The test contains sentences with underlined words that you are to say whether it is a noun, pronoun, or adjective. The sentences are below.
1.) Many have heard about how the pony express carried the mail in 1860 and 1861.
2.) I can't believe you said that!
3.) The alphabet uses raised dots that the visually impaired can feel.
4.) These are the short stories that my friends and I wrote.
5.) One of us is sure to win the prize, which is a scholarship to a summer writing workshop.

There are other sentences with similar words that he got correct. I would just like someone to explain to me how to tell the difference when these words are used as adjectives versus pronouns.

In numbers 3 and 5, the underlined word is a relative pronoun that also acts as a conjunction. In 1, 2, and 5, the words are pronouns.

In numbers 3 and 5, the underlined word is a relative pronoun that also acts as a conjunction. In 1, 2, and 5, the words are pronouns.

They are all pronouns (of various kinds, including demonstrative - #2 & 4 - and relative - 3 & 5).
I must disagree with Mike's description of the latter as 'conjunctions': pronouns and conjunctions are mutually exclusive form-classes. Some grammarians, however, would admit the inclusion of both under the general heading of 'connectors'.

They are all pronouns (of various kinds, including demonstrative - #2 & 4 - and relative - 3 & 5).
I must disagree with Mike's description of the latter as 'conjunctions': pronouns and conjunctions are mutually exclusive form-classes. Some grammarians, however, would admit the inclusion of both under the general heading of 'connectors'.

I said they were "acting as conjunctions" and they are.

Nonetheless, we grammarians prefer to draw a distinction between the two terms, however trifling and insignificant it may seem to you.

Nonetheless, we grammarians prefer to draw a distinction between the two terms, however trifling and insignificant it may seem to you.

It is neither trifling nor insignificant, but it really doesn't help explain the language to learners.

Last edited by a moderator:
but it really doesn't help explain the language to learners.
That has never seemed to have been a goal for the the other poster in this discussion.

It would be preferable if you used "I" instead of "we grammarians". It is possible that other users might think that you are including the rest of us in that phrase when, in fact, we may well not agree with you.

It is neither trifling nor insignificant,

Gratified to know that you think so...

but it really doesn't help explain the language to learners.

It helps them to understand that pronouns are not conjunctions...

That has never seemed to have been a goal for the the other poster in this discussion.

Not in the least.
That is always my goal.

It would be preferable if you used "I" instead of "we grammarians". It is possible that other users might think that you are including the rest of us in that phrase when, in fact, we may well not agree with you.

If you share Mike's inability to distinguish a pronoun from a conjunction, then I do not...

[strike]EOC[/strike] (Inappropriate when more discussion may well ensue particularly with the OP and, in my opinion, a little rude.)

[strike]EOC[/strike] (Inappropriate when more discussion may well ensue, particularly with the OP and, in my opinion, a little rude.)
Did you write that in your role as grammarian?

Perhaps in this case it stood of "end of contribution" (such as it was) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back