Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Uruguay
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone!

I want to express this line of thought : a kid came down with a harsh pneumonia -> it's not just some other fact that his mother does not let him go play out with the other kids in the snow; it is relevant, it's is connected with the former. (She is not doing it just because / on a whim /because of any other reason than that the kid is sick.)

I'm aware there exists 'It comes as no surprise.../ It's only logical that...' but, really, the idea they convey is slightly different to what I'm looking for. As for 'not for nothing', it seems to be used in other way from what I read, followed by a 'but', usually.

Maybe there's no exact, direct way to say this in English but I wanted to check!

The sentence would go more or less like this: "He's been staying in bed for four days now, and the doctor comes in every day to check on him. There's really no news, bad or good, from what I heard, but you can tell he's not getting better. Not for nothing/anything his mother still doesn't let him come out to the streets, see his friends. I'm praying for him Anne. I hope you do, too."

I appreciate your help!:up:

Last edited:
This never got answered for some reason? If it's wrong or impossible please tell me! Your help makes me become better at this tricky thing called 'writing'!

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. I'll just say that "It's not for nothing" means "there's a good reason why."
Does that help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone!

I want to express this line of thought : a kid came down with a harsh pneumonia -> it's not just some other fact that his mother does not let him go play out with the other kids in the snow; it is relevant, it's is connected with the former. (She is not doing it just because / on a whim /because of any other reason than that the kid is sick.)

I'm aware there exists 'It comes as no surprise.../ It's only logical that...' but, really, the idea they convey is slightly different to what I'm looking for. As for 'not for nothing', it seems to be used in other way from what I read, followed by a 'but', usually.

Maybe there's no exact, direct way to say this in English but I wanted to check!

The sentence would go more or less like this: "He's been staying in bed for four days now, and the doctor comes in every day to check on him. There's really no news, bad or good, from what I heard, but you can tell he's not getting better. Not for nothing/anything his mother still doesn't let him come out to the streets, see his friends. I'm praying for him Anne. I hope you do, too."

I appreciate your help!:up:

The closest I can come to with what you're after is "It's not a coincidence his mother still..."
Personally, I think something like "It's for good reason his mother still..." is better, as mentioned above. But both are fine.

I know in some foreign languages a phrase like 'not for nothing' or similar is quite common. But I don't think there exists an English equilavent in both translation and commoness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back