Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
"Last time, you said you didn't like maths. I respect that; not everybody does, but you will need it in this class, so let's review some basics before we continue so that I'm sure you understand what I'm saying."
In my original sentence, I wanted does to refer to liking maths. I said in my class during the second lesson the students had with me. During their first lesson, the previous one, I asked them if they liked maths, and they... well... almost uniformly said they didn't. It's a shame; you can't teach people physics without maths.

I think there's enough context to make does refer to liking maths, not respecting that, and at that moment the message was clear. However, I think that does in the sentence, when the sentence is isolated and devoid of context, could also refer to respecting that, with no clue as to which it is. Am I correct?

O) "Last time, you said you didn't like maths. I respect that; not everybody does."
A) "Last time, you said you didn't like maths. I respect that; not everybody likes maths."
B) "Last time, you said you didn't like maths. I respect that; not everybody respects that."

If the sentence could be misunderstood, what fix would you recommend?

You're right that the sentence is potentially ambiguous. I don't think a native speaker would misunderstand your intention, but using version A makes it 100% clear.

I had to read it twice to see the possible ambiguity.

I had to read it twice to see the possible ambiguity.

Me too. But in general, any time a writer detects a possible ambiguity, it's a good idea to eliminate it. This is especially true for non-native speakers.

In writing, I'd say any ambiguity would be very unlikely, given the context.

In speech, there would be no ambiguity at all, thanks to prosodic cues (stress/intonation, etc.).

It's not clear whether you're asking about writing or speech. I assume the latter.

Would that rephrasal eliminate the possible ambiguity?

"Last time, you said you didn't like maths. Not everybody does, and I respect that, but..."

Would [STRIKE]that rephrasal[/STRIKE] this rephrasing eliminate the possible ambiguity?

"Last time, you said you didn't like maths. Not everybody does, and I respect that, but..."
Yes, that's perfect.

Generally, people don't look for ambiguity. Ambiguity is a bigger problem in classrooms than ordinary life.

Generally, people don't look for ambiguity. Ambiguity is a bigger problem in classrooms than ordinary life.
True, but plenty of people have embarrassed themselves by publishing statements that could readily be understood differently from what was intended. I think it's wise for writers — particularly non-native speakers — to watch out for ambiguity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back