Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
I am aware that 'no worries' is a typical response to 'thank you/thanks...', but can I use it in the 2 following situations?

situation 1:

Let's say I'm running a workshop. I write something like:

"Computer skills are indispensable nowadays... a lot of people get frustrated when computers freeze or crash; they are at a loss when no technicians are around...
No worries!Here’s your chance to learn more about how to tackle these problems yourself! In this workshop, we will cover..... "

The 'no worries' means - don't worry, you can get some help here. Can I use it in this way potentially?

situation 2:

A: I'm very sorry but I can't come tomorrow night. Something urgent popped up.
B: No worries! We can always meet at another time.

Thanks

Re: Can we use 'no worries' in these ways?

I have started a new thread with your new question.

I would not use it for 1. Use "Don't worry."
I would use it for 2.

"No worries" really means "Don't be sorry" or "No need to apologize" not "There is nothing to worry about."

And it's not a typical response in AmE. At least not in my area. It came from Australia, I believe.

I live only a couple hundred miles east of Dave, and we use it *all the time*! So it must be very regional.

One of my co-workers was just up in western Canada for a job and they used it up there a lot.

"No problem" is the common response to a "thanks" here.

I have always hated "no problem" as a response to "thank you."
It's so ungracious.

I also don't see "no worries" used as a response to "thank you." It's used as a response to an apology, implied or explicity.

I must be causing you a lot if inconvenience. // No worries. It's my pleasure to help you.
I'm sorry I can't make the meeting. // No worries. I'll catch up with you afterwards.
Oh my gosh - I just stepped on your toe. Oh, I'm so sorry! // No worries. I've got another foot just like it.

Re: Can 'no worries' be used in these 2 situations?

I would consider this to be acceptable informal English. I would not use an idiomatic expression like that in a research (or similar) paper.

Where I grew up in the US and where I live now, "no worries" is not common, except from Australians. I agree with Dave that "no problem" is more common in the US and is not considered ungracious.

and is not considered ungracious.
... by everyone.

I hate it.

Especially when it's their JOB to do it. If I thank my waitress for bringing me my drink, I don't expect to be told it was a problem, so I don't need to hear it is NOT a problem to do what they are getting paid for. You're welcome. My pleasure. Of course. Any of those are fine. Glad doing your job isn't a problem, but keep that information to yourself, please.

In that context, I agree. But there are many other contexts. If I open a door for someone and he/she thanks me, I often say "no problem".

I live only a couple hundred miles east of Dave...

I am not a teacher.

Do you consider dropping the "of" after "couple" informal or standard?

is not considered ungracious.
Not by those who use it.
And it's getting out of hand. I have on one or two occasions, during a phone call to resolve some matter, had to reassure the listener that there was indeed a problem, or I wouldn't be calling. (This slightly off-topic, since it wasn't in response to a thank you.) The typical dialogue is this:
Me: There seems to be a thousand dollars missing from my account.
Clerk: Ok, no problem ...

Do you consider dropping the "of" after "couple" informal or standard?
It always grates on me when I read a Dean Koontz book (I like to slum it sometimes). But, then, we always say "a couple of" here.

Not by those who use it.
And it's getting out of hand. I have on one or two occasions, during a phone call to resolve some matter, had to reassure the listener that there was indeed a problem, or I wouldn't be calling. (This slightly off-topic, since it wasn't in response to a thank you.) The typical dialogue is this:
Me: There seems to be a thousand dollars missing from my account.
Clerk: Ok, no problem ...

I think he means that it is "no problem" for him to fix it, not that he thinks that you don't have a problem.

I think he means that it is "no problem" for him to fix it, not that he thinks that you don't have a problem.
Yes, of course. But my experience with people on the other end of the line is that they should not make this judgement until they are sure they know why the problem has occurred and know that they can fix it. To me (and to him/her) it's a problem until it's fixed. Perhaps I'm a person who is not easily convinced by non-genuine responses from the "how to deal with customers" manual.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your sharing and input
So, I gather that 'no worries' is a possibly reply to 'thanks'; how about if someone is apologetic (e.g. saying sorry), can we use no worries (to mean don't worry)?
E.g.

A: Sorry, I'm late.
B: No worries! We've just starting.

Yes. Or "no problem". But it should be "We're just starting" or "We've just started".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back