Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A man in a chat room posted a screen shot and it says that China is responsible for the global warming. Obviously this man is complaining about this and I replied:

No worries. I'm still picking up litter in my spare time, trying to help with the envrionment a bit.

Is my sentence natural? I want to tell him that complaining is to no avail; I prefer to do something. However, I don't know if he can get it.

How about "...trying to do my bit for the environment"?

I don't think "No worries" works there. That's a common reply to "Thank you", meaning "It was no trouble/It did not bother or worry me at all". It can also be used as a response to someone asking or telling you to do something.

Helen: Can you drive me to the airport tomorrow?
Sam: Of course. No worries!

Sarah: I need you to get this report done by 4pm.
John: Sure. No worries.

I wouldn't use it to mean "Don't complain" or "Don't worry about it".

How would you respond to the complaint about China instead of "No worries"?

I'd say "Rubbish", but that would lead to political comments beyond the scope of this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to tell him that complaining is to no avail; I prefer to do something.

Here's one idea on how to convey this: "I try to focus on doing my bit for the environment rather than assigning blame. I'll continue picking up litter in my spare time!"

Note that my rewrite might come across a bit holier-than-thou.

If the outcome of the discussion was not important to me, I'd probably make a joke with something like this: "I'll continue picking up litter in my spare time. So don't worry about it; I got you!"

This uses a humorous tone and implies that it's not a big deal if China is polluting because you are compensating for it with your efforts. But of course this might not be your style of humor.
:)

Last edited:
How about '"Don't worry, there are people like me trying to do our bit for the environment"?

If the outcome of the discussion was not important to me, I'd probably make a joke with something like this: "I'll continue picking up litter in my spare time. So don't worry about it; I got you!"

Much appreciated, everyone. What does "I got you" mean here? Does it mean "I understand what you mean and I'll do my part to make it better"?

Much appreciated, everyone. What does "I got you" mean here? Does it mean "I understand what you mean and I'll do my part to make it better"?

It means "I got your message", which natives say "gotcha" in short.

It means "I got your message", which natives say "gotcha" in short.

Actually, no. The definitions both of you gave are valid in other contexts. And in yet other contexts it could mean “I’ll take care of you.” But the way I used it here, it’s similar to “I’ll take care of it so you don’t need to worry about it.”

”Gotcha” or “I got your message” would not work for this meaning.

Last edited:
A man in a chat room posted a screen shot and it says that China is responsible for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] global warming. Obviously this man is complaining about this ....

I am unclear about what "this" refers to. China's alleged contribution to climate change? (They don't call it global warming anymore.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back