Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is "No spitting" used properly here? You stay at home and spit at your toilet and then flush it away, which appears to be okay to me.

So I guess that No spitting here means No spitting at public places. Am I correct? Or the use is simply incorrect English. I am not certain.

------------------------
II.Pay more attention to self-protection.
Please keep good personal hygiene habits by often washing your hands. No spitting. Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms. Please avoid contact with wild or farm animals. Please do not eat raw or undercooked eggs, poultry or other animal products. Please keep the room clean and maintain proper ventilation.

Source: Online Chinese forum

Is "No spitting" used properly here? You stay at home and spit [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in your toilet and then flush it away, which appears to be okay to me.

So I guess that No Spitting here means no spitting [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in public places. Am I correct? Or is that use [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] simply incorrect in English? I am not certain.
The intention is to stop spit from getting on footpaths, public surfaces, etc. Even if you're not at home, you can always use a tissue and dispose of it appropriately. :)

The usage is correct and natural. It means "Do not spit in public." Compare it to the similar "No smoking."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back