no sooner ..... than / hardly ..... when / before or another structure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

About two weeks ago, while riding my bike to work, I heard a woman say the following words to her dog.

Quote "You have only just suffered from a pain in your paw and (now) you are starting to growl at other dogs".

Unquote

The general idea is that the dog has only just stopped having a pain in her paw and is now starting to growl at other dogs.

I have attempted to express the idea in the below-mentioned three variants:

A) No sooner have you stopped having a pain in your paw than you are starting to growl at other dogs.

B) Hardly have you stopped having a pain in your paw when you are starting to growl at other dogs.

C) Hardly have you stopped having a pain in your paw before you are starting to growl at other dogs.

What do you think of my conclusions. Is it possible to combine Present Perfect Tense with Present Continous Tense/Present Simple Tense when using no sooner ..... than / hardly ..... when / before structures?

Could you answer my questions? Thank you.

Last edited:
All of your interpretations suggest that the dog has just stopped having pain. But in fact the dog has just started having pain.

not a teacher

If the pain has stopped, the original sentence should be:

You have only just recovered from a pain in your paw and (now) you are starting to growl at other dogs

I understand everything except one thing, namely, why Probus claims that the dog has just started having pain. However hard I try, I can't understand it.
Could someone please explain it to me?

I understand everything except one thing, namely, why Probus claims that the dog has just started having pain. However hard I try, I can't understand it.
Could someone please explain it to me?

'Just suffered' implies that.

not a teacher

So you allude to "You have only just suffered from a pain in your paw and (now) you are starting to growl at other dogs".

I agree.

To sum up, you are concentrating on this sentence but you do not take into account the three variants below.

Am I right?

Did the woman expect the dog to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back